Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas & Poetry

  Dear (confused & sweet ) friend who spoke to me on Tuesday.
For me Christmas is always happy... because it rests upon Christ, not upon the different things in my life. If I was irreligious, each Christmas would only be a reminder  of not having a family. Don't know what it means to you.
I wanted to say thank you for talking to me...Am all smiles now...Didn't know what to say...copied a poem for you instead. :) The first poem reminds me of you. (by someone a little confused religiously, yet not totally rejecting God.) The second is a poem you once said you liked. It has a similar feel to the poem you wrote which you once showed me.

The Oxen - Christmas Poem by Thomas Hardy

Make it Snow !
Christmas Eve, and twelve of the clock.
"Now they are all on their knees,"
An elder said as we sat in a flock
By the embers in hearthside ease.

We pictured the meek mild creatures where
They dwelt in their strawy pen,
Nor did it occur to one of us there
To doubt they were kneeling then.

So fair a fancy few would weave
In these years! Yet, I feel,
If someone said on Christmas Eve,
"Come; see the oxen kneel,

"In the lonely barton by yonder coomb
Our childhood used to know,"
I should go with him in the gloom,
Hoping it might be so’






THE CONVERT

        After one moment when I bowed my head
        And the whole world turned over and came upright,
        And I came out where the old road shone white,
        I walked the ways and heard what all men said,
        Forests of tongues, like autumn leaves unshed,
        Being not unlovable but strange and light;
        Old riddles and new creeds, not in despite
        But softly, as men smile about the dead.

        The sages have a hundred maps to give
        That trace their crawling cosmos like a tree,
        They rattle reason out through many a sieve
        That stores the sand and lets the gold go free:
        And all these things are less than dust to me
        Because my name is Lazarus and I live.


                                                --G. K. Chesterton




No comments:

Post a Comment